Books I Liked Less
- The Bridge by Karen Kingsbury- My Goodreads rating 1 Star. Average Rating 4.02 Stars. My review: ** spoiler alert ** I don't know why I read this. I don't know why I wanted to read this. Because, it sucked. It was an inspirational, first off. One of the genres I don't read. It was short. It was schmaltzy. The story was ludicrous. The owner of a bookstore can't find a way to make ends meet after a flood, so in a "It's a Wonderful Life" type storyline, he decides to off himself. Except, at the last minute, he doesn't want to die. So, he gets in the accident and winds up in a coma. Then, these two star-crossed lovers (except, no sex, because it's an inspirational, and a kiss was all they did after 2 years fer fecks sake), who haven't seen each other for a bunch of years, come to his aid. Of course, in an O'Henry type fashion, there are misunderstandings, where they both think the other has moved on, but they still pine for each other, yet hide their true feelings. OMG- if you want to get with that guy, ASK HIM IF HE'S MARRIED, DON'T WEAR YOUR DEAD MOTHER'S WEDDING RING TO PRETEND YOU ARE MARRIED. Urgh, the stupid, it burns. Then, the town rallies around the guy in the coma, a Christmas miracle happens because of prayer (rolling eyes right here), and everyone gets a happily ever after. Even the star-crossed lovers who confess to each other that they still want each other, and the idiot guy of course proposes as soon as she confesses she still loves him even though multiple years have passed. Just kill me now.
- Swamplandia! by Karen Russell- My Goodreads Rating 1 Star. Average Rating 3.21 stars. My review: Maybe I expected more comedy from a book named Swamplandia!, because this books was just over-all depressing. Child neglect, a rape scene and mental illness were just some of the highlights of this book.
- It Sucked and Then I Cried by Heather Armstrong- My Goodreads Rating 2 Stars. Average Rating 3.47 Stars. My review: OK, so this is Dooce's memoir. There were a few funny spots, but overall, there's not much going for this book. As someone who read her blog, and found it grating, the book is just too much. I didn't realize WHO wrote this book until after I got it home and had a sense of deja vu. Thankfully this is a library book and can get returned.
- Carry On by Rainbow Rowell- My Goodreads Rating 2 Stars. Average Rating 4.18 stars. My Review: I made myself finish this book. I'm glad I did. I did not love this book by any stretch. (I don't like fanfic. I really don't like that the book was so meta- fanfic about fanfic but by the original author)
- The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. My Goodreads Rating- 2 Stars. Average Rating 3.94 Stars. I did not review this book on Goodreads, but I've ranted about it elsewhere. It's just creepy. The guy goes all around time, sometimes spying on his future wife while she's child. Just ewww.
- Just Like Other Daughters by Colleen Faulkner- My Goodreads Rating- 2 Stars. Average Goodreads Rating 3.88 Stars. My Review: Like the "normal" baby was Alicia's consolation prize for raising her daughter with Down Syndrome to adulthood. I think that was the part that completely turned the book on me from something that was tolerable to something that I actively hated.
Books I Liked More
- Cleaving by Julie Powell- My Goodreads Rating- 4 Stars. Average Goodreads Rating- 2.41 Stars. My Review: This book is the opposite of Julie & Julia. Where Julie & Julia was light and farcical at times, this is dark and heavy, but in a very good way. The author has done a 180 in her personality, or maybe she's finally found who she really is. I'm in the minority in that I enjoyed this book just as much as the first.