Monday, December 16, 2013

Weight Loss Journey Has Begun

Over the summer, I went to my gyno, because I was having really irregular periods. I was on the doctor's scale for the first time in years. My state of denial of what I really weighed was shattered in an instant. I weighed 224 lbs. That's more than my Dad weighs, and he's 6 feet tall. Then, even more bad news. My gyno tells me that I'm most likely in peri-menopause, brought on by my obesity. This is what every 35 year old wants to hear. My blood pressure is also high. Honestly, I felt like shit walking out there that day.

I had been in denial since my youngest was born in 2007. I didn't gain anything really during that pregnancy, but I started the pregnancy at 193 lbs. I was up to 195 at my heaviest, and actually walked out of the hospital at 193. But, then, I went back to work quickly, had three kids ages four and younger, and a husband who was never home. The older kids were/are picky eaters. It was no surprise that I cooked comfort, carb heavy foods, and the weight started piling on. Fast forward to 2013, and I'm barely able to button a size 18 pair of jeans, and most of my t-shirts don't fit. I feel gross. I hate my body and I hate myself. It's awful.

The first thing I did after leaving the doctor on that day in August was to swear off fast food. Since August, I have not eaten french fries or anything else that I can buy through a drive through window. This means I've been making my lunches and taking them to work. Upside- it saves money. Downside- it's boring, and when I forget, I wind up eating oatmeal. The good news- 13 lbs fell off quickly. But, I plateaued.

Step Two- a month ago, I joined Weight Watchers. The online tools make me aware of what I'm eating and make me make better choices. But, I fall off the wagon during the weekends. Therefore, I'm putting this out there on the internet for everyone to read and keep me honest. During this holiday season- from Thanksgiving week to today, I'm down 7.8 lbs, to 203.6. Today I wore the same pair of size 16 jeans to the meeting that I wore to my first meeting. The first meeting, those jeans hurt they were so tight. Today, they went on and buttoned easily. I'm not down a size yet. I can't claim to be in a size 14 yet, but I'm getting there. My first goal is breaking that 200 lb barrier. I hope to be there soon after the first of the year. According to the BMI chart my highest healthy weight should by 146. I still have a long way to go.

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the journey so far! Progress, ESPECIALLY during the holidays is something to be proud of! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete